Sharing some of my personal knowledge of Ruth Bockelman that you won’t find Here.
- She was my Musical Mother.
- Ruth began teaching me at the age of 9 in 1975 (now you can figure out my age)
- She just turned 93 in February
- She taught my daughters how to play guitar and mandolin
- A personal friend of Mel Bay. He is an icon in writing music books for all kinds of instruments and a great Missourian.
- In my mid-teen years, she and I opened and closed a live radio program on our local station KDRO. I felt (and still feel) extremely priviledged that she asked me to do this. A huge honor for me personally.
- She never married or had children
- She has an excellent green thumb and has plants all over her living room
- She’ll always show up when invited to a party or family dinner.
- She wasn’t always a ‘teach at home’ instructor. She’s taught at Shaw Music and Ye Old Piano Shop and probably others I don’t know about.
- One of our favorite songs to Jam together was “Foggy Mountain Breakdown”. You know when your instrument is tuned (or not) while you are playing that song!!
- She is a Cancer Survivor
You could say that Ruth Bockelman is my hero!
Check out other blog on ‘The Challenge’